According to figures from Statistics Denmark, on January 1 2007 91.1% of Denmark’s population of over 5.4 million was of Danish descent. Many of the remaining 8.9% were immigrants, or descendents of recent immigrants, from Bosnia, neighbouring countries, South Asia and the Middle East, many having arrived since an "Alien law" (Udlændingeloven) was enacted in 1983 allowing the immigration of family members.
Denmark’s population (as at 1 January 2008) was 5,475,791, giving Denmark a population density of 129.16 inhabitants per km² (334.53 inh/sq mi).
The Kingdom of Denmark has only one official language, Danish, the national language of the Danish people, but there are several minority languages spoken through the territory. These include German, Faroese, and Greenlandic. A large majority of Danes also speak English as a second language.
Danish National Institutions for Language
Sabine Kirchmeier-Andersen, Director
Njalsgade 136, 2300 København S, Denmark